Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Is God or the Goddess Just in our head? The Case of the God Helmet

Dr Michael Persinger has been experimenting with ways to replicate religious experiences. He uses a device called a koren Helmet or as the media has named it the 'God Helmet'. This helmet places solenoids over the temporal lobes and delivers weak but complex magnetic fields. During the experiment many subjects have reported the feeling of a presence in the room with them and about 1% reported seeing God.
Persinger believes that religious experiences are a biological responses to stress. In particular stress caused by our understanding that we will eventually die. From a scientific point of view Persinger has more work to do before he can 'prove' his theory. And though other labs have yet to be able to replicate his work it still raises some interesting questions.

What would it mean if science was able to prove our brains are causing the experiences we feel when praying or meditating? Would this make the experience any less valid? For modern pagans I don't believe it would pose a problem at all. For we do not blindly believe in a supreme being in heaven. Many of us find that it is the personal connection with Goddess or God that is important. I believe that I am a reflection of the Goddess and she is a reflection of me. The thought, that when I meditate, I cause chemical reactions in my brain that create the euphoria I feel does not make it any less magikal. In fact it only supports my belief that we all create our own reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment